Pages

Friday, November 28, 2014

A Late Thanksgiving Post

Ahh well I haven't blogged in about a century, but I'm back! It's kinda weird blogging again, I kinda forget how it goes...Come on, Anna, just get it on the page. Boom. Pow. WRITING. You got this. I got this? I got this. Boom smap spam. Indeed.

Well the Thanksgiving of 2014 for me and my family was a little different than usual. We stayed home, the introvert inside me was smiling the entire evening. Lots of food, lots of silence. The only word I could use to describe this Thanksgiving is 'yes'. Just yes. All that is needed to be said. After I stuffed my face with as much food as I could withhold, I spent most of my evening in my room. Because one needs time to think about life, and what other time to do that than a day dedicated to food? Instead of laughing and making small-talk with people I'm not quite sure how I'm related to, I was on my bed, sprawled out, lying in defeat of the feast. I thought about where I was and where I am, and who I am and who I was. I thought about those I've loved and those I've lost and those who have brought me to make me who I am today {They come from both pools}. I wrote mindless poetry about the quiet Thanksgiving, the calm, the serenity. I reflected on my journey, and how thankful I am for every step of it. I'm thankful for the sad moments, the happy moments, and most of all the moments of pure, genuine, joy {*ahem* Varsity winning State for the first time *cough*}. Instead of simply gathering with family and people that are apparently related to in some way, shape, or form, I truly got to dwell for a moment on what life is really about. Life isn't about the grades or the money or the status - although those things are important - it's who you are and what your journey has lead you to be. It's the people you meet and the books you read and the sappy poetry you write. Life is the experience, not the status. For a moment I got to dwell on what it meant to live.
 
And then I actually got some action.

One thing my family never {like, never} does is Black Friday shopping. And ironically that day my brother was working {In the mall} from 10pm-2am, so my Mom and I made plans to go shopping then; but then my mom realized how important sleep truly is and decided to hit some 'doorbusters' {No doors actually busted, I am slightly disappointed}. We arrived at the mall a few minutes after the stores had opened, we quickly grabbed the 'doorbusting' {LIES} coupons and split into different sections of the store. In my mind, Black Friday is this evil day filled with thousands of people all wanting the same thing you want; thus, if you want something, you get it fast. So there's this blond girl in the store with her hair in a bun mindlessly looking around and snatching everything she can, then I noticed something. There's not thousands of people, there's around a few hundred, and only a handful are where I am. Surely there's enough for all of us. After this realization I started to put things back, I started to ponder if I would actually use what I was about to get, and I started to slow down. After all, it wasn't Black Friday yet, it was Thanksgiving. People are with their families, eating pie, and practicing old traditions; and as long as that's happening I can't kill someone and hopefully I won't be killed. The shopping experience was rather enjoyable, until I had to go through the mall to get to another store {It was traumatizing}.

SUDDENLY. PEOPLE. EVERYWHERE.

I grabbed onto my brother's elbow and hid behind his shadow until we passed the massive wave of people rushing to get 75% off of, well, everything. Once we came home I plopped all the bags on my bed, folded the clothes, tried them on, then treated myself to a cup of hot cocoa and sweatpants. I enjoyed my last moments of Thanksgiving with more thinking, more thanks-giving, and more food.

Why even do people go Black Friday shopping, anyway? Online shopping yo.

Sincerely,
The Introvert who thoroughly enjoyed Thanksgiving this year {And the shopping}{Even though online is better}{#OnlineBlackFridayShoppingfodayz}

No comments:

Post a Comment