Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Wreck it Up

 "To create is to destroy"
-Keri Smith

Recently I ordered a Wreck this Journal. 


Now, I've been wanting to get one of these for a while; to be exact, since last year on my Birthday. As we were strolling downtown, admiring the colorful and unique tents in the street fair, we stopped to go into some buildings (When you've been outside in 90 degrees all day, some air conditioning is necessary). We went into a book store, we looked around for a while when unexpectedly, something caught my friend's eye. She gasped and quickly picked up the journal and said "Dude. These are so cool". She started flipping through the pages, reading the prompts to me. I looked with wonder at this book to see if it was true; surely, someone wouldn't publish a book for the mere sake of destroying it.. Or so I thought.

So after a long wait of wanting to get this journal, I finally did. I thought it would be a nice, artsy project to help my creative juices. At first, I thought I would go with the more popular side of the Wreck This Journal, the artsy, clean, super fancy, side. 
Excuse my hair and the planet that looks like a hamburger.
When the journal was in my hands, I flipped to a page and drew what I thought would be fitting. After a few moments I came to realization I actually have to do what it says... 

I was so wrapped up in making this journal pretty, I forgot the whole point of the book, to destroy it. I went outside, climbed our ancient fort, took a quick picture and a deep breath. Slowly the book fell out of my grasp and quickly it fell to the ground. A smile crawled on my face when I heard the sound of the book hitting the grass. A sense of freedom came to my soul, almost. Like I had been caged up in this world where everything must be perfect and unharmed without any scratches or stains and finally an escape had come. I bought something that I could actually destroy instead of keeping it propped up and pretty. And to be honest, there's something fetching about different. This book, this is different from any other. We are taught at a young age that books are a luxury that cannot be neglected; and alas, there is a cure of this law that has been taught for so many years.

And man, it feels great.


{Wreck This Journal updates are to come}

-Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment