Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Memory Jar

On this day last year I decided to do a little project. The Memory Jar.






For a whole year this little jar sat on my desk. Every few weeks or so I'd scribble on a piece of paper and toss it in there. Every day this jar would wait to be opened; but I wouldn't empty it until January 1st of 2014.

Today (I'm a little late, I know) I opened the jar. I read through the memories. Some of them I had completely forgotten, an old, faded, photograph; but others were fresh and colorful in my mind.





All the memories are different. Some are connected with others. Some are separated. Some are ripped, torn, and wrinkled; others are nicely folded into little squares. Some are in pen, some are in pencil. Some are in Minnesota, some are in Indiana. Some are good memories, some are bad memories. Some are old and some are new. Some are little some are huge.

I decided to read every memory once again, but this time I separated the ones I remember vividly and the others I remember faintly.

I had a handful {literally} of memories that are blurred in my mind.



All these faded memories all have something in common.

They're all from Minnesota.

I honestly am astonished at myself. That I would forget something so important, so dramatic, so life-changing.

I forgot everything that happened where I lived for two years, for just a moment.

For just a moment everything was in Indiana, for just a moment I had never moved. For just a moment.

And once I was done with these memories, I threw them away. Every single one. Because what happened in 2013 is not what's happening. It's like a medal dated "2013" and when people look at that and say "Wow! You accomplished so much!", and I think "What am I accomplishing?".

The year is young, one has 365 days to complete a goal. Only 365.

What are you going to do?

~Anna





No comments:

Post a Comment